Saturday, July 09, 2011

Dragon's Milk is Beyond Compare

Dragon's Milk Ale is part of New Holland's High Gravity Series and is only available in kegs or in 22 oz. bomber bottles. It's classified as an American Strong Ale.Being an ale that's been aged in oak barrels, I expected to get some interesting aromas from this beer and I wasn't disappointed. The woody and vanilla overtones were definitely present here. It's one of the first things I detected after pouring this beer into the glass. I also got a full nose worth of caramel and dark roasted malts. The aroma was very pleasing. The taste/feel was one of medium to thick bodied. The ale tingled the front of my tongue.

The beer slightly coated the back of my tongue and after swallowing gave me yet another sensation and taste that was enticing as well. Call it an after glow affect. The ale itself was very tasty from the start. Rich malts blended with a woody base and vanilla overtones. The malt was noticeably sweet but is offset well by the wood and slight bittering hops. The affect of this beer was very smooth and warming. Despite being a high ABV beer, I had no difficulty in drinking this ale.

At first I might have been fooled into thinking this was a stout, but the dark malts in this beer are not quite as roasty as other dark beers. There's a lighter tasting balance put into this brew. Still, it's too dark to see through and will give some subtle hints of the darker, roastier malts. I split the 22 oz. bottle with my staff and everyone loved this beer. I would definitely drink this ale again as would the rest of our drunken staff here at UPBEAT Entertainment News Syndicate. http://www.newhollandbrew.com/

No comments: